View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
"people" who were expecting to see LB in 1987 were members of The Ledge.
I‘m sorry, but the story was too huge in 1987.

No, there wasn’t social media, but this was also before digital cable. The only news station was CNN. MTV and VH-1 were actual music video stations and major players in the music industry. People still read newspapers and music magazines, where the story was heavily covered. Entertainment Tonight was really the only entertainment news program. There were very few outlets. That lack of digital television and social media was advantageous for a band at the level of Fleetwood Mac, especially in 1987, when they were still relevant and had a hit album, because it allowed them to have a dominating story in the press. That was free publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
coz the music wasn't as good, and it didn't align with the zeitgeist in music at that time as it had in the 70s.
I wasn’t talking about the album, just the live shows. And, considering Smashing Pumpkins had an alternative hit with Landslide, one would think that it wasn‘t completely unaligned with the zeitgeist. I mean, less than two years after the last tour date by the Mason-Bramlett lineup, probably on a bill with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac was playing a sold-out arena tour with the Rumours lineup. If Fleetwood Mac is just a brand to most casual fans, then why would it matter who was in the band? Why such a discrepancy in such a short period of time?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-02-2021 at 01:15 AM..