View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

another thing - what was happening in the 80s or 90s as far as the access to info was very very different than now, once internet became pervasive. now all info is at your fingertips, and social media amplifies to huge proportions. that's very different from several articles in music journals that you had to go fish for back before the internet.

as far as the tour in 2014-15, there were several things that collided in the pretty perfect storm at the time - while people may not know the names of all band members, the Glee episode made the songs and Rumours album go viral. not as much as tiktok in 2020, but it was definitely a comeback. and then, miracle happened - the band actually reunited with their biggest lineup, intact. that is rare for these older legendary bands. REALLY rare. and then, Stevie Nicks guest starred on AHS. that added a whole another layer of young girls who became huge stans and gave Nicks a whole another persona on top of her already existing persona. so all those 3 things together had people who had no clue that FM was touring in 2009 or 2013 flocking to their shows in 2014-15.

in 2009 and 2013, it was not general audience's knowledge of the band membership that made some feel like something was missing - it was lack of the songs in the setlist. experience of seeing 2013 show in Scotland really made that crystal clear for me. most Fleetwood Mac songs people recognized there were Christine's. in the bar next to the venue they were playing FM songs after the show. guess what songs? Everywhere, Little Lies, Don't Stop - Christine's songs were half of the playlist. same tour, i took my then pre-teen daughter to one of the shows and played the very best of FM double album in the car driving from the show. she was like - wait who sings those [Christine's songs]? and why were they not playing them?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"