View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
What was Stevie's biggest contribution to the success of Rumours? Mick said in Play On that Stevie is not a musician, she's a vocalist.

Stevie's biggest contribution to Rumours was dumping Lindsey then because her songs were also about her/him.

Other than Stevie's high notes, what's memorable about the song "Dreams" is the guitar work. Most drummers could have come up with the introduction and beat throughout that song. Stevie contributed the clunking on the piano and the lyrics. It's their only US #1 but the only sound Stevie made for it was what she air plays with her fingers when Dreams is played live.

Gold Dust is all Lindsey with the multi guitars and Mick does very well after the Go Home note.

John is a delicious bassist for everything but the guitars stands out; that's Lindsey's sound.

The band kept Lindsey from 75-87. They didn't choose Billy and Rick Vito to do The Dance in 97 or to make an album in 2002.

They didn't perform songs from Behind the Mask in 2018 but they did Second Hand News, Monday Morning, Go Your Own Way and two Lindsey co-writes. What does that say about Billy and Rick?
I think Christine gets really under-rated here. (Not to take a thing away from what Lindsey contributes)
Her keyboards on Dreams with the warm rhythmic pumping gives the song movement and a wonderful backdrop. I hear a high string part in there also that adds to the harmonies. Plus, her voices goes in and out of the forefront on the blend.

Same for the song, Gold Dust Woman. Listen to Christine's contributions to this song.

With Stevie:
It's as if I run into the room and say look everyone, I sketched some trees and mountains.
And Fleetwood Mac says, "ok, it's nice. But let's put a river here, some birds, add colours, a background, and some contrast! Also, let us edit it down to make it a picture."

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-30-2020 at 11:51 AM..