View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Let' s see maybe the one that had the person largely responsible for her own success and the architect of the classic lineup of Fleetwood Mac's sound
Without Stevie, Lindsey would have been lost, likely just a guy who used to play bass in a long forgotten band from San Francisco in the late ‘60s and brother of an Olympic swimmer or just another folky guitarist who sang like Kenny Loggins. Stevie brought harmony, stage presence, muse, and most importantly drive. Together, they had sex appeal, chemistry, and tension. She’s the one who pushed the move to Los Angeles and she’s the one who pushed to join Fleetwood Mac, by far their two biggest career moves and ones he wasn’t instinctively predisposed to make.

As far as being the architect of the classic Fleetwood Mac sound, that’s always been one of the most overblown claims ever. Lindsey didn’t have the musical vocabulary to make a legendary album without Mick, John, and Christine. All of the Brian Wilson studio gimmickry in the world would have been for not without the muscle behind the songs that the Brits brought (OOTC). He eventually realized that.

Sure, the white Fleetwood Mac album sounds noticeably better that its predecessors. Then again, they took three months to make it (compared to a week for Bare Trees) and recorded it in a big Los Angeles studio. However, it also sounds noticeably better than Buckingham Nicks. That said, it‘s not especially remarkable, just typical ‘70s. “Miracles” by Jefferson Starship was also recorded in February, 1975, for comparison, and “Black Water” by the Doobie Bros. was released in 1974. Fleetwood Mac didn’t exactly break new ground on that album.

Now, if we’re talking about Rumours, his production certainly made that album a timeless, compelling masterpiece. But, I can say that was even more true of Tusk, which wasn’t nearly as successful. The success of that album went far beyond the actual music. If we’re being honest, Lindsey’s biggest contribution to the massive *success* of Rumours was getting dumped by Stevie Nicks.

Quote:
I have been a fan since the 1970s and should be able to express my disappointment .in someone that I once idolized destroying the band that she once vowed that she would never break up.
I’ve been a fan since 1987. I guess my first decade of fandom made me see this band for the freak show it was. What soap opera ever ended without one last plot twist?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-29-2020 at 11:34 PM..