View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
This is so hard because I love three of these songs!

4. Blue Water: I've never been a huge fan of this one, kind of dry. The demo is better with her younger voice but still.

3. Blue Denim: A couple of clunky lines make this one third place but its so fun. Definitely the highlight of Street Angel and she did a great job with it live! I wish the mix was even harder rock and more punchy. Probably the best of her collaborations with Mike Campbell.

2. Blue Lamp: This was so hard because I love this song. Its just so ridiculous and literal. She's going on about this hideous blue lamp and christmas angels and it has a such an abnormal structure. Perfect encapsulation of 80s Stevie lol. Stevie's vocal is perfect and the music is so COOL sounding. I don't know if its the keyboards or the guitars but the way they go together really catches my ear from the very first note. I wish there was a soundboard copy of it from the Bella Donna tour because the audience recordings really rock! The end bit about "the light that shines through the shining night" I could listen to on repeat. I kind of get why it didn't make Bella Donna (its so weird) but I wish it had, it would have added a different sort of vibe to the album.

1. Violet and Blue: This one only edges out Blue Lamp if we're talking about the Chris Lord Alge mix from Timespace with those BOOMING drums and reverb-filled choruses. That song becomes an absolute rocker in that mix and I'd argue is her best rock one outside of Edge of Seventeen. Super catchy outside of the weird Stevie-isms. The Wild Heart NEEDED to make room for this song, it does not deserve to be as obscure as it is. I don't even mind that its way too long, its just so fun to bop to. The regular mix is kinda lame as the drums and guitars are pushed back and the keyboard is in front, which I feel makes it lose its punch.
Agree.