View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some random thoughts:

- Love: 'Rooms On Fire' (great track with a great video), 'Two Kinds of Love', 'Ooh My Love' (cool percussion intro, this version is way better than the one with the plagiarized Tom Petty 'Runaway Trains' musical track).

- The vocal on 'Juliet' on the 'Tango' deluxe box set is plain awful. It's hilarious when you hear her say how good it is at the end.

- Dislike: 'Cry Wolf'. A boring forgettable song which she didn't even write. Should have been replaced with her own 'Real Tears'.

- Not my favorite album, but better in my opinion than 'Rock A Little' and 'Street Angel'.

- Hate her awkward talk-singing in 'Juliet': 'Turn to the blue crystal mirror...' and then 'Let the crisis become a bridge...'

- Very nice tour book with great pictures. They really went downhill after the 'Street Angel' one when Christopher Nicks completely took over.

- There were some cool promo items: a kaleidoscope and a hologram. A small hologram came free in the UK releases of the album, and there was a bigger framed one too that you can buy a special light fixture for.

- Interesting that the album, thanks to 'Rooms On Fire' was a hit in Europe. Stevie even got to tour the UK , France, and I think the Netherlands and Germany too.

- As the OSOTM tour was the first time I saw Stevie solo (at the Great Woods Amphitheater in Mansfield, MA, and then in Saratoga Springs, NY), it was a big thrill. Quite a number of gals dressed up, looking like Sisters of the Moon, and holding up signs like 'Forest of the Black Roses'. But in retrospect, the shows were pretty terrible. Stevie was so zonked out on klonopin, and made no interaction with the audiences. She basically stood there, sang with a dead look on her face, walked out, changed clothes, came out again, and did the same all over again. She would be a little more alive as the show went out, like when she did 'Stand Back' and 'Whole Lotta Trouble'.

- I hate her stage style at this time - the big whitish hair, the giant shoulder pads, the bustiers, the little wedding hats, the large crosses....

- There was a very interesting demo of 'Two Kinds of Love' circulated among fans (I still have it on an old cassette somewhere). The music was the same, but it was sung by Rupert Hine, and some of the lyrics were different. From what I can recall, the words were something like:

'Ooh, mistaken as she was
The pain has ended
You wanted this to happen here
Understand it
Well, it's just another test...'

The rest is the same, except from what I remember, at the end of the chorus, Rupert sings the line, 'You can keep your heart-shaped diamond'.

- In the pre-internet world of 1989, the latest Stevie/FM news was from mail order fanzines. Anyone here remember those?! There were 'Dreams' and 'Rumours'. Then later ones like 'Frozen Love', 'Affairs of the Heart', 'Belle Fleur'/'Mirror Mirror', 'Crystal', and 'Silver Springs'.

- Sadly, when 'Two Kinds of Love' and 'Whole Lotta of Trouble' failed to chart, it marked the beginning of a slump in Stevie's career. Things didn't get better until 'The Dance' reunion.