View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Maybe in terms of the absence of the insufferable and longstanding Buckingham–Nicks tension? Without the animosity between those two, the others probably feel more relaxed? Of course, along with that relaxed, sunny amicability, you get a sort of generic musical blandness. The band's emotionally sunniest times are also usually the most artistically boring. (Remember Behind the Mask? Remember the 1994 tour shows? Neither do I.)

If this configuration of easygoing, amiable personalities records an album, I have no doubt that it'll be dull: professional and glossy, musical ducks all in a row, but no stirring passions (like Rumours) and certainly no oddball visionary excitement that distorts the medium's accepted boundaries (like Tusk). Now, you could proffer the Buckingham McVie album as a safely, sanely bland album, but it contains any number of deliberate, compelling little deficiencies and quirks that will be totally absent from a new Fleetwood Mac album from this group.
This is exactly how I feel. (no pun intended) The quirks, the underhanded shots at $tevie, and the duo feel of two very different writers. Also, the grand return of Christine and the blistering solo at the end of the album.