View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think I recall Christine saying that she loved spending time with Stevie during the first few years of their band because Stevie was such a hoot with a good sense of humor. But starting around 1981 and the recording of Mirage, Chris told Record (Rolling Stone) magazine that she and Stevie didn't socialize much anymore, and added that Stevie had little of that great sense of humor she once did. The name of the article is "What's the Matter with Stevie?" and I believe the Bay Area writer (and machead) David Gans wrote it.

There were also a few BAM (Bay Area Music) cover pieces around that time, which revealed a lot. All three writers had a cover story: Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie.

I think that by the time the Mirage tour ended and the band all drifted into separate corners, Chris and Stevie's relationship grew rather distant. I don't think they spent much time together after that. Lindsey and Mick both showed up for Christine's 1984 solo homecoming in Universal City, but Stevie was not there. Chris went to Stevie's wedding, but voiced her opinion to the press that it was all pretty bizarre: "It doesn't seem like crazy love to me."

I think that, as Stevie became more of an exotic diva who was amassing a major following, Chris got turned off. She's never been a histrionic person drawn to grand gestures, exotic poses, and melodrama. She had little in common with Stevie by that point. Wasn't until the next incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that Chris and Stevie probably bonded again.
This is how I remember it, too. When Christine was doing press for her solo album and tour, she was explaining that she thought Stevie's sense of humor had flown away.