View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I agree with this statement completely. Street Angel isn't particularly memorable for me, I don't think any of it's high points stack up to the high points of any other solo album, but there's a decent amount to appreciate with it. The back-to-roots production is a welcome change from the thick mist of keyboards that was TOSOTM (which has its high points as well). Blue Denim is a good rocker and she really killed it live, Maybe Love is a perfectly serviceable pop song, Street Angel is clunky but has a moody atmosphere that I like a lot, and I like the feel and message of Kick It.

I never got the hate for Docklands or Jane. I enjoy the Mint Juelps and Betsy Cook versions more, but I appreciate the grittier feel to the music and vocals that Stevie provides. I remember reading some criticism that the lyrics "just don't fit for Stevie" because it doesn't sound as magical as her other songs, but that's kind of why I like it. It fits well with the production of the album. I don't feel too much for Jane, just personal preference, but I like the music and you can sense the heart she has for the song in her delivery. I might have edited out the chimpanzee line but I don't think it's anywhere near as awkward as its made out to be. When people say it's the worst song she's ever made, right up against The Second Time and That Made Me Stronger I get super confused.

A few songs come across as filler for me though. Listen to the Rain, Unconditional Love, Greta (which has some pretty cringey lyrics), and Destiny don't really make an impression on me unfortunately. They've got decent music but eh lyrics and vocals. Rose Garden could have been better with some retooling (I liked it on the Enchanted tour). Love is Like a River... has a good base but it was executed in all of the wrong ways. The backing vocalists in particular.

Thousand Days and Mirror, Mirror are both AMAZING and if they replaced Greta and Love is Like a River the album would've felt stronger imo. I've heard Running Through the Garden was tried for that album as well. If that's true, I'd kill to hear a more basic version of that rocker without all the 80s trappings on the RAL demo and SYW version. Although I think literally every album would have benefited from adding that song
I think Listen to the Rain is one of the album's best tracks. I agree Unconditional Love seems like filler though. I think Kick it is over produced to being dull. I love the line in Love is like a river "You must have many things to remember, cause nothing else in your life has really changed" LOL I can so relate to that line. I love Listen to the rain and wish she would have done it live. Its one of her biggest rockers plus being so autobiographical.
I do agree the album would have been better if the 1992 version of Mirror Mirror included as well as Thousand Days. I would have dropped the song Street Angel and called it Mirror Mirror instead. However, its rare when Stevie writes about current events. Homelessness must have really touched her.
BTW, I love Greta and think its one of the album's best tracks. The music is very good and those drums crack (love it).
Stevie is misguided in her dislike for the album and blames the vocals. Her vocals are superb on the album. She is blaming herself and trying to find a reason to hate the album because it was not successful.