View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Smile at You

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
If Lindsey was such a superlative producer, he probably could have done much better with Stevie's demos. Welcome to the Room..Sara is fine, but it could have been epic. The song he chose not to use was better on Stevie's solo album. I'm looking at you JULIET! Look what he did to Smile At You on Say You Will. I don't call that genius.
I know I'm one of the very few, but I love the "Smile at You" version on "Say You Will" over the demo - by far. The demo is angry like the song's sentiment, but I like the sublime production that Lindsey did to the song. You feel the anger without the angry vocals - the chorus with Stevie singing "I should had" intertwined with Lindsey's "just as fast as I can" is masterful to my ears. And the way the wounded guitar strums around Stevie's "Go on, save yourself.
Leave the key here. You love someone else.. I shouldn't be here.." as the songs winds down is killer. You feel the resentment without the anger. F@ckin brilliant.