View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Where to begin? As you know, John, I don't think it was her most exciting solo tour, like you. It was crazier than the 1983 tour but not as thrilling. (Those of us in the audience in 1983 when the drum machine started for Stand Back surely remember the amazing sensation of seeing Stevie do a club/dance number in front of 20,000 for the first time in her history. THAT was excitement.) And she couldn't bellow as well in 1986 as she could in 1983 (September–October–November). But she still commanded that stage.

One of the things I liked best about this tour, in retrospect, is that she was still wearing all her old clothes—the tablecloths, the shawls, the boots, and top hat, and so on. She dressed essentially the way she did in 1983 and in 1980 before that. No bustiers yet, thank God. And no bunched-up satin with shoulder pads. (Someone once compared her in 1989 to a zaftig African American woman attending Sunday service in Biloxi.)
Stevie's best stage dance was during How Still My Love at the end 1983. She would dance and make goofy faces to the audience.

Begins at 5:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0lkSZM8Ag

I agree with you about the clothes and a reminder how crazy the Wild Heart Tour was. I was 13 and was afraid at times. LOL A strange feeling to feel at a concert.