View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think that's at all why his solo career never took off lol. Lindsey's written plenty of great songs on his own and his stuff got the critical praise that came from that. But the thing is that especially when it came to his solo career, he liked making (for lack of a better word) 'weird' music. He had very different tastes in terms of sounds and production and it just wasn't the type of thing that really appealed to a lot of people. If it was because he doesn't actually write good songs, his stuff would not have half the praise it's gotten. But it just requires a certain taste to appreciate. Stevie sold tons of albums because she wrote great songs (at least on her first 2 solo albums that is) that were also produced in a very radio-friendly, appeals to the masses way. She was also very popular just in her own 'entity' as Stevie Nicks and that played a big part in it.
I think this is pretty spot on, dreamsunwind. I agree that Lindsey's sounds and productions don't always have mass appeal, and would add that sometimes his style can even turn people off. His music style kind of reminds me of David Lynch- incredibly well made but not made for everybody.

Also, I've noticed what seems to be a criticism about Stevie that I take to be one of her strengths- her willingness to work with other people and to record songs written by other people. As opposed to Lindsey, who is seemingly less willing to work with other people or record songs written by other people. I have often felt that Lindsey has shortchanged himself by choosing to isolate himself, musically. I know he's written some songs that were recorded by other artists, and produced other people, but I've always thought it would be interesting to see a couple of his songs produced by someone else.