View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
Well, his solo career is successful from a musical point of view, I think more successful in that regard than the other band members. I wasn't aware that commercial success was the only arbiter of artistic value, but that's a typical attitude on this board. I don't care how many sales an album has if it sounds like crap, like most of Stevie's later solo output. She chased commercial success often at the expense of the music, and now chart success is long past for her.

And Tusk wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Lindsey, and that album gives the band a lot of credibility nowadays, maybe more than the others. The rest of the band would have opted for Rumours II without him, and failed to even come close no doubt.

ETA: And does your argument mean that Neil Finn is untalented? I don't think his solo career is any more successful than Lindsey's, outside of New Zealand and Australia. Unless I missed him ever having a Top 10 single in the US or UK? At least Lindsey managed that.
I was responding to folks on this forum saying that Lindsey was the talent of Fleetwood Mac and that's preposterous. By any standard, Lindsey Buckingham's solo career has been a near bust. He's had a few isolated good songs but that's about it. Listening to his Anthology reinforced that in my mind. Lindsey's talent is as a producer and arranger and guitarist but not as a songwriter. That's why his solo career never went anywhere despite being the "leader" of one of the biggest bands in the world. He's reliant on other songwriters to bring him the songs. That's why he was so much more successful in Fleetwood Mac ... because he had Christine and Stevie to write the songs and he would arrange and produce them until they sparkled. That's his gift. However, for folks on this forum to say that Lindsey was the talent of the band is so far from the truth it's pathetic. He was the production talent but Christine and Stevie were the songwriting talents. They needed each other. And that's why Stevie had a much more successful solo career than Lindsey. It's easier to find a producer once you have the great songs. It's much more difficult to write the songs if you're a great producer/arranger like Lindsey. That's why Stevie has sold about 11 million albums in her solo career and Lindsey nowhere close to that.