View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Ledgie

I can't be sure of the other versions of "SOTW" but I take your word that they are great recordings. I just happen to be really impressed with the one I have from 'Moonmadness'. You talked about the reasoning for Bardens departure, I happened to read Latimers thoughts on Barden's leaving Camel, from the Camel site Skylines:

"Andrew Latimer explains: Peter and I always get on well when creating, but the problems started when we came to the actual execution of the ideas. In the studio, Peter and I were just stifling each other. I wouldn't let him get any of his ideas out and he wouldn't let me get any of mine out, so it became pretty heavy going. We mutually agreed to part company on the creative level. Richard and Andy wanted to stay with me, so Peter went. I think it was a very good move for both of us."

I thought I had read that Camel was shooting for a more radio friendly sound that might expand their fan base or make them more recognizable, maybe through a song like "Highways of the Sun". I don't know if they really succeeded but did notice that the albums immediately after Barden's leaving have some good reviews on the AMG site. I'm not sure what Barden's wanted to do with the band or how he conflicted? I would guess that might be answered looking at his work following Camel.

Sorry, FM fans if I have taken this thread down the wrong path for you!

Last edited by greenfire; 11-15-2003 at 09:52 AM..