View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Days after the tour ended, Petty suffered massive cardiac arrest at his Los Angeles home. The coroner’s report blamed an accidental drug overdose involving the deadly opioid fentanyl, plus painkillers and anxiety meds including OxyContin, Restoril, Xanax and Celexa. On the day he died, according to his family, his hip fracture became a full-on break, likely leading him to take the fatal drug cocktail as a form of self-medication.
This is heartbreaking, no pun intended. As someone who does not suffer from torturing chronic pain, I have trouble even imagining the kind of pain it would take to force one to self-medicate with all those drugs. Very tragic for Tom Petty and others who suffer from such physical pain. It reminds me of the story of the foxes who get a leg trapped in those serrated traps and gnaw their limb off.

Quote:
In time, he started to sketch out ideas for the first-ever national tour by his side band, the Dirty Knobs. It’s something he’d wanted to do for years, but Petty — concerned that this ragtag collection of Los Angeles session cats would somehow take away from the Heartbreakers — would never allow it.
I don't understand. Petty didn't want Campbell to do the Dirty Knobs as a side project?

Quote:
Fleetwood’s offer to make Campbell a full member of the storied Southern California band — not a hired hand — was both exciting and daunting. “I thought I’d never play big gigs again,” Campbell says. “I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’ ”
This is as I thought several months ago. Campbell has no interest in Fleetwood Mac's music. He's going to be facing quite a challenge, touring for a year and playing "Rhiannon" and "Don't Stop" and the other hummable but slightly vapid pop hits. Musically, it just ain't his thing at all. I'm not getting a vibe from Campbell that he wants to do this project for years to come.

Quote:
In fact, unlike Finn, who barely knew most of the members of Fleetwood Mac prior to his audition, Campbell has a long history with the Mac. He and Buckingham became friendly acquaintances in the 1980s, and Buckingham sang background vocals on the 1996 Heartbreakers classic “Walls (Circus).” “I had no part in him leaving,” Campbell says. “That’s between them.”
He wants no drama turned on him, understandably!

Quote:
They’re also working up a rendition of Crowded House’s 1986 hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” — and Petty’s “Free Fallin’,” over Campbell’s objections. “Stevie wanted to do that one,” he says. “I love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.”
Shame. Can Stevie sing that one the way she did in 1996? Remember how she cranked it up in her high-tenor register during the climax? She might need to dispense with it or bray her way through it, the way she did the closing lines of "Moonlight." But that's old age. There are a lot of Petty-Campbell songs I used to want her to try, but she doesn't have the upper register or the pliability any more to do most of them on my wish list, although she did a beautiful "Southern Accents" with some dude a few years ago. That would be a lovely tribute to Tom.

moviekinks.blogspot.com