View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
something similar happened with the band New Order (formally Joy Division) the Bass player, Peter Hook, left the band (or was booted depending on your pov) and he now considers them a tribute band
Yes, in many ways the loss is comparable. Hooky’s bass is arguably the sound of New Order and his antoginistic relationship with the band’s lead guitarist and singer Bernard Sumner is arguably the tension responsible for the bracing impact of their releases. However, as early as 1993, New Order really became Barney’s band. He is a genius. And he doesn’t want disagreement. Hooky declared the band disbanded in a public fit that lead to his ouster and the ultimate resurrection of the band without him. I call it Bernard Sumner’s New Order. Which is a great thing but different thing.

On their last album together, I listen to “I’ve Got a Feeling” the counterpoint of Barney’s guitar and Hooky’s bass always makes me cry in the bridge after Barney sings “There wasn’t a day that I wasn’t true / You were the one I thought I knew” and then the outro after “You can’t hurt me / you Can’t hold me / why can’t you see you don’t own me / ... / people may come and people may go / but yours was the love I got to know”

They love each other so much they think they hate each other.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.