View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not that I'm making this stuff up.
Here is the article that I quote:
https://wror.com/2017/10/19/heartbre...pen-tom-petty/

Here we go:
Not only did Mike Campbell fail to intervene to help Tom Petty out of his selfdestructive behaviour, he did not even backup the manager:
Quote:
...And though Dimitriades broached the idea of canceling the tour, telling Tom "You can't tour like that." he says Petty told him, "Why not? I'll do it in a chair if I have do."
Also Mike Campbell:
Quote:
"He had very severe hip pain and he could hardly walk. I just admired how he just persevered. He didn't want to move the tour; He was gonna address it after the tour, from what I know, and so just seeing him struggling to get on stage, nobody knew once he got on stage. Once he put the guitar on and he kicked in and he did his show, and I don't think anybody had any idea how much pain he was in."
So he knew, saw Tom Petty suffer and did nothing to stop it. I don't even think it was about the money, it's just that Mike consciously put his own interests before Tom Pettys wellbeing.

He just wanted to play, that was the all important thing. And he is open about it:
Quote:
Guitarist Mike Campbell tells Rolling Stone that, "I'm just so sad to think that I'm not going to play those songs again."
It's not about the friendship, the personal loss of a friend, it is all about playing.

And still some people here try to sell Mike Campbell as more than a guitar player to rent for FM. He just wants to play guitar, obviously without any regard of the circumstances. Nothing wrong with being a bona fide Stage Hog, but let's stop pretending that he has ever been a responsible person or a good, caring friend for Tom Petty. Or that he even wasted one thought on the situation he got himself into, the fans or his predecessor before he jumped into the FM boat.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 08-16-2018 at 08:38 AM..