View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Just to be clear, I definitely wasn't suggesting that Lindsey doesn't belong in FM because his side projects flopped, and I don't think anyone else was suggesting that, either. I wasn't even saying his solo works were flops. What I was saying was that there was really no point in comparing his sales with Neil Finn's, because neither one set the sales charts on fire.

I think of all the musicians FM could have hired to replace Lindsey, Neil and Mike were very smart choices. Neil and Mike aren't polarizing like, say, Sheryl Crow or John Mayer, for example. I suppose there's somebody out there who might hate Neil or Mike, but generally they seem to have flown under the radar enough that the mention of their names doesn't provoke a strong negative reaction. They also are different enough from Lindsey that they'll bring something new to the shows, and not just try to imitate Lindsey.

I also think that somewhere down the road, Lindsey will rejoin FM. Crazier things have happened.

I agree with much of what is said above. Mike very well known and could likely draw out of TPH fans who are missing their band. Personally, I had never heard of Neil Finn before this (Yes I'd heard of Crowded House) so he's definitely flown under the radar for me. I also think in both cases, fans are not directing any blame towards them (and they shouldn't) I think the failure or success will be dependent on the chemistry between Christine, Stevie and Neil. Mike will be as unassuming at John is ( and he will play Landslide very well), but will fans buy into/enjoy Stevie and Neil singing "Silver Springs" to each other (I have to think this gets pulled, but you never know with this crew). Can the 3 of them harmonize together? And will fans buy into Neil singing some of Lindsey's "classics" (GYOW/Tusk) Since this fiasco was unleashed upon us, I have listened to Neil--I just don't "hear" his voice on these songs. My opinion.
I also am not a huge fan of "covers" and while 4/5's of the people who originally recorded these songs will be playing/singing them, the lead vocalist is different--and to my ears, that's a cover. The next few weeks will tell the tale for sure.
I also wouldn't be shocked if he rejoined at some point (assuming all parties are on the right side of the dirt) but I am sure the wounds are still fresh. As a fan of the band, I would love to see the 5 of them together again. Whole situation STILL breaks my heart. I don't think this is how they want the "farewell" tour to go. IMO, they would not be going out on top.