View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Again, they told me that Lindsey was pushing to move the tour until late 2019 and the band got fed up and fired him. I said nothing about whether they were sympathetic or not to Lindsey's plight. They were sad that it came to a parting of the ways and they said they understood both positions; the band's position that Lindsey had agreed to the tour and then changed his mind and pushed to move it back until next year and Lindsey's position that the band owed it to him to be very flexible with rescheduling dates.
"Probably some of you know that, for the last three months, I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. ... The point is that they'd lost their perspective, and what that did was to harm — and this was the only thing I'm really sad about, and the rest of it becomes an opportunity — but it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build. And that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Now, what do these noble sentiments have to do with pushing back a tour? Why on earth would Lindsey be talking about the band's "higher truth" and its legacy if he really just wanted to put Fleetwood Mac on yet another hold while he worked solo? Doesn't add up. If they didn't let him work solo in 2018 and demanded instead that this be a year of band activity, he'd have said something a lot more along the lines of "Factions within the band [fill in with whatever highflown Lindseyisms you want] decided that they didn't want to wait for me to finish a solo project." Or he may have said "We weren't all on board about the importance of recording new music to fulfill the band's higher truth."

He's talking about "legacy" and "destiny" because a) he talks like that anyway, and b) he wasn't on board with another big touring circus of very old music. He was worried about the band's legacy — about not creating anything new. He's always been about creating something new. That's what he values. (Whether or not his creations were really new is an entirely different and irrelevant matter.) Another year of touring behind the White Album and Rumours is not his idea of adding to a legacy. That's why Mick and Stevie got "fed up" (as you put it). This mess wasn't about rescheduling dates.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 05-28-2018 at 09:35 PM..