View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I see what you are saying.

It is complex.

For me the alleged abuse does matter because it’s part of the control issues he has. Lindsey has also had control issues with the band since 1975. So many people only say Stevie is the control freak, but remember how Mick and John resented him trying to take over (my words) after they joined.

So even if you take the alleged abuse out of the equation, eventually there is going to be a breaking point when you have someone like Lindsey. As brilliant as he is, he was fired. Just like brilliant but difficult people are fired in every industry. I don’t think it’s revenge. It’s consequences of past actions. We are publicly being told it was the scheduling issue. We’ll see.
I don't think our points necessarily disagree. I agree Lindsey was a hardcore control freak and as much as he may have grown, I doubt that ever totally goes away. But the thing is, the power dynamics in the band have changed since the 70s and 80s. Lindsey was the boss in the studio back then and he was basically the boss in every sense of the word in regards to what the band did musically. And I think he still probably wishes that what he says goes, but he's not dumb enough to know it's not that way anymore. Stevie holds ALL the cards now. ALL of them and that fact should not be underestimated. She and everyone else now know that she is the big star and she's the one people will not buy tickets without. That's why Stevie actually GOT to delay a tour by a year because she was doing her solo project.
And if you're saying that it's a consequences of his actions in regards to being a control freak, well Lindsey certainly isn't the only member of the band who did things back then that caused trouble for other band members. Mick was an absolute mess, a complete failure as a band leader. Look at what Lindsey has to say about making the Tango album, he said Mick would literally pass out drunk/stoned in his home to the point that Lindsey got a trailer for him parked in his driveway to basically live in. Stevie was such a rock diva that several people have said they could hardly speak to her because she was constantly surrounded by an entourage, during the making of Tango she decided to fly out to Australia instead of recording with her band. And she also had a serious drug problem that likely made dealing with her difficult, Jimmy Iovine allegedly quit Rock a Little the first time for that very reason.
They all gave each other hell but Lindsey is the only one who's facing "consequences" for it, decades later? When oddly enough Lindsey was fine enough to make an album with Christine just a year ago, with Mick and John playing on it, tour that album which by all accounts, was a successful and happy experience for everyone involved on it.
And you're right that the "he wanted to delay the tour one year and we didn't" is what they're telling the press. And it's not the whole truth, it's an altered version of events.
My point here is that I believe Lindsey did not do anything to warrant being treated like this. I personally believe Stevie did not to tour with him anymore because of their bickering and that her outlook on life has changed since TP's death and when he started asking for whatever he was asking for in the regards to the tour, she decided "I'm done" and Mick went with it because Stevie is his cash cow, and the rest of them all went along with it as well, whether they liked it or not. I love Stevie and I love the band but I think what they've done here is just wrong.