View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Yes, Neil will endure her pretensions for the money. Make no mistake, this is all about the $$$$$.

Neil Finn is a clever, prolific creator of music. But this is an eneavour that's unlikely to yield new music in any significant capacity. I just cant see Neil being in this for artistic reasons. What is artistically rewarding about standing on a stage night after night singing other peoples' songs when you written and recorded dozens of your own critically acclaimed albums?
As successful as he's been, if he gets a fair share of the cut, a major Fleetwood Mac tour will yield more than he's probably earned for the past 10 years combined.

So yeah, he'll bow to Stevie.
Yeah, he'll be getting more worldwide exposure than he's had since the 1980s. But creatively speaking, I don't see much in it for him. I mean, I assume he's a big FM fan, so jamming with them on stage every night would presumably be an enjoyable endeavor. Vince Gill joining the Eagles last year seems like a similar situation. Gill had a pretty huge career in a certain niche, but the Eagles gigs gave him more notoriety than he's had in ages. And he was also very successful before the Eagles came calling - we could ask him why he did it, too. Probably a combination of getting to work with people he's admired, performing music he greatly enjoys, getting his name out there on a level it hadn't been in a long time... and earning some serious coin in the process. What's the downside for either man? Squelching their inner muse?

So while I don't necessarily think it's *all* about the $$$ for Gill or Finn, I don't think "creative expression" is high on the list, either.

Last edited by BlanketMan; 04-11-2018 at 01:50 PM..