View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did not like this interpretation of Stevie. You can see that the other contestants hammed up their performances but ultimately commanded the stage and paid tribute to the icons. This contestant appeared to be mocking Stevie the entire time, from the flailing arm movements to the "dizzy" bit at the end. I don't watch the show so I don't know how much control the contestant had if the voice track was prerecorded but I thought this was a real missed opportunity. Even the costume is a busy amalgam of many of Stevie's looks. If the contestant ditched the hat and added a microphone -even a cordless one! - the look itselfwould have been less distracting.

As for the criticism that Stevie does not have backup dancers and therefore there is less for the contestant to rely on... Stevie has had backup singers, particularly Lori and Sharon, for her entire solo career and they have been known to jam as wild as Stevie at times! Not to mention how Stevie grooves with her guitar players during the guitar solo in performances of Stand Back, for instance.

I never realized how much Stevie relied on her dance background on stage. What on earth was this queen doing with her fingers/hand???

Anyone who needs inspiration for Stevie's dance moves should look no further than the 1981 Gold & Braid video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9E03qFVxpk

From the crazy tambourine clapping and twirling, to Stevie's signature high kicks and deep squat with the microphone, to Stevie rolling her shoulders and shaking her hips, you would think that these stage antics would be golden to anyone attempting to parody or impersonate her.

Even though the Gold & Braid performance is not well known, you can see many of Stevie's signature moves in any live performance of Edge of Seventeen or Stand Back, her top solo hits. So I am confused about why this contestant felt Stevie lacked source material.

Look at how much fun the other contestants are having! This contestant looks miserable but could have had so much more fun with this as well.

Last edited by lilyfee; 02-03-2018 at 02:34 PM..