Thread: The Lost Albums
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I sort of see what you are saying but would disagree in part. Lost albums? Probably. Stevie recorded so many songs for RAL many of never made the album. IMHO the abundance of producers was not the problem with RAL. It was the songs period. Jimmy is an ace producer but the songs he produced on RAL are actually my least favorite. I think her wild behavior and fried voice ruined what could have been an excellent album. The songs that were discarded like Running through the Garden were the best part of the RAL era IMHO. I think RAL had huge potential but turned out to be one of the worst albums of the entire 80's decade. Its so un-Stevie in meaning missing the passion of deep meaning songs and a kind of bouncy rock she had on her prior albums. All the 80s synth crap and drum machines just don't go well with Stevie's songs IMHO. I mean really... you can almost break dance to Sister Honey
Now where I disagree. TISL has a very unified sound IMHO. Its just a sound I don't care for. People forget but Stevie almost finished TISL without Sheryl. She used another producer but scrapped the album because she thought it was too funky. TISL has some good songs but most of the album is something to forget. Her voice is flat and she sounds so bored on songs like Planets. Very little passion. Most of the songs sound like demos and almost have the exact same beat. No guitar solos. No clever riffs, etc. Its pretty boring music. I don't think there was a lost album other than the one she scrapped before Sheryl.
If there ever was a lost album, it would be with the left overs from Bella Donna and Wild Heart. Can you imagine an album of:
Gold and Braid
Violet and Blue
Blue Lamp
I sing for the things
Sleeping Angel
All the beautiful worlds
Running through the Garden