View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, my CD has arrived!

After maybe 5 listening, I've got to say this is indeed better than SYW. Not way much better. Just slightly better. Anyway, here's my ranking, because I did my homework:

1. Love is here to Stay: my favorite by far. I cry every time I listen to it, even when I was driving home this afternoon. Not a healthy thing to do. The lyrics are by far the most beautiful of the album. I don't know if he wrote it for Kristen, but if he did, it's the sweetest gift. The perfect bow for a perfect song is Lindsey and his guitar. Love his style here. It's probably what makes me cry.

2. In my World: if Lindsey wanted to give a message, it was loud and crystal clear with these lyrics. It was love at first sight for me. I can't stop singing it. I love the perfect blending of all those strange sounds (that only Lindsey can create) that accompany the melody.

3. On With the Show: Too many "let's get on", but he "will stand with his band", so all is forgiven. Love the team's feelings that Lindsey is expressing here. You can see his sensitive soul. The guitar at the end is fantastic. That Gypsy end is perfectly mimicked. A perfect road song. Or for one of those sappy commercials where team effort is rewarded with tears and laughs and hugs.

4. Too Far Gone: OMG, those drums from the middle of the jungle! I was pleasantly surprised with this song. I haven't heard much from it so I thought it was average, but my car was on fire this afternoon. Typical Christine's lyric (in contrast with Lindsey's), right to the point. The chorus at the middle of the song combined with the tambourine (Stevie, is that you?) makes me dance and dance.

5. Feel About You: love that dirty lyric that could only come from the dirty mind of Miss Christine McVie! Catchy. It reminds me of Sugar Daddy, not for the melody but for the lyric.

6. Carnival Begin: Clearly a very personal lyric for Christine. An Egyptian/Indian melody that I think is something I've never heard in any of their solo works. Lindsey's solo at the end blows me away but I'd have made it last a bit longer. But what I probably enjoyed the most is the obvious (and selfless) collaboration on each others' work.

7. Sleeping Around the Corner: hate the beginning (and I'd have never put it as the first song of the album), but love the perfect roundy end. Love the lyrics (angsty Lindsey is perfect Lindsey), and all those past references. Wonder who's playing the tambourine on this one...

8. Lay down for Free: very poignant lyrics (what else can you expect of Lindsey?). Not one of my favorites. Not even the melody can save it. The chorus makes it a bit more bearable. What irks me is the repetitive lyric. Because we have all already heard about the "words left unsaid, the rain and the broken bed" many, many times. But I like the music at the beginning.

9. Red Sun: the lyrics screams Lindsey (regret, words left unsaid and underground. Words not usually seen on Christine's lyrics). I'm not so sure it was a team job. Probably my least favorite, if it weren't for the lyrics. Just an average melody.

10. Game of Pretend: Enjoyable ballad. Too slow for my taste. It's like nothing I have ever heard from Christine. Hate the chorus. It makes the song cheesy, like one of those romantic songs from the 80s that you could hear on a soap opera. I can't imagine what Lindsey will do if they include it on the setlist. Christine's voice is flawless though, but not even that can't save it for me.

I love those thanks on the CD. John and Mick are clearly very loved people.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.