View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Word.

I do wish it weren't going to be this way, though. It might sounds redundant, but I want Tusk 2.0, but recorded with the foresight that *this is it*. I would hope that recording a final album would be cause for adventure, for unconventional material, for abandoning the formula.
My sentiments exactly. I loved Tusk so much for those exact reasons: it truly showcased just how divergent the 3 songwriters were. It showcased all of their strengths, and juxtaposed how different those were from each other. Yet because of the amount of material from each songwriter, it all somehow hung together. The musical waves would swell, break, recede, and repeat; it wasn't a consistently flowing stream of similar songs. Much more like a movie than a painting, even.

That's what I'd love to hear in a new album, too. Lindsey's sonic quirkiness contrasted with Christine's pop goodness, injected with Stevie's airy fairyness. I think Say You Will was born of that same motive, but because of Christine's absence, suddenly Lindsey and Stevie found themselves trying to fill the accessible-pop role. Lindsey recorded What's the World Coming To; and Stevie submitted Say You Will. They both need to vacate that patch of real estate for a new album, and hand those keys back to it's queen, Christine.