View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm listening to Street Angel all the way through for the first time on Youtube right now, inspired by this thread. I've avoided it for a very long time due to all the hate it's received on fansites and from Stevie herself... I guess I didn't want to hear the zonked out Stevie and bad lyrics and production that everyone talked about.

Now I could be listening to different versions of the songs than are actually on the album, but it's way better than I expected it to be! I think it sounds more like Buckingham Nicks era Stevie, in the simplicity and feel of the songs. Not unlike her exactly, just unlike the majority of her oeuvre. Blue Denim, Street Angel and Just Like a Woman really stick out to me. I even like Docklands... The laundromat part, yeah, it's cringeworthy, but the song as a whole has a nice groove... I like it.

Kick It, on the other hand...

For the most part I am wowed by her vocals. I think technically the Rock A Little vocals are her worst (although I love RAL to pieces). Her voice seems healthy and in its prime on Street Angel, IMHO. She seems to strain a lot for some notes, but overall not awful by a long shot.

Maybe it's just because I had such low expectations but this album is a million times better than I expected based on everyone's comments about it. I can't believe I never gave it a chance!