View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
tough to argue with Christine's tunes being "sturdy" but that's not great... probably the ONLY iconic track she wrote was Don't Stop, and that's primarily due to the Clinton revival.. her songs are catchy, "sturdy" and consistently good, but none have gotten into the zeitgeist like Landslide, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Edge.
I haven't seen the list and might consider CM better than many... but there's been little cultural impact from her songs
I don't entirely disagree. But as songs in themselves, very few of Stevie's tunes would make any impact on the "Zeitgeist" if she weren't singing them. It's her voice and how she sells those songs that make them spark. Anyone else singing Rhiannon, Edge, Stand Back, or Gypsy sounds lame. Only Landslide and some of her country-inflected tunes translate to other singers.

I would argue that Little Lies, Hold Me, and--as you mention--Don't Stop are iconic in a different way, as pop anthems. And Clinton's theme song would not have blown up the way it did if it wasn't already a major song. Oh Daddy is iconic in its own way as much as Rhiannon. Just because there aren't a gazillion women dressed as Christine in the front rows of her concerts or drag queens holding a night of a thousand Christines doesn't mean at least five of her songs aren't deserving of being on the list: they have a strong cultural impact on a lot of people.

There is also the little matter of Songbird being pretty damn iconic.

And a pop tune like Say You Love Me is like a Cole Porter tune, so excellent because of the way it balances wry humor with genuine feeling.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 08-26-2015 at 09:17 PM..