View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yes, but that scenario was observed and reported by a reporter. In interviews you'd be hard pressed to find Stevie admitting that her interactions with Lindsey are totally scripted and rehearsed (by them) though all you have to do is see more than one show and there it is. She always maintains that they get to go onstage and relive their love affair for those two hours. He's the only one who's said, nope, just an act.
I don't understand WHY there'd need to be an admission? No one actually thinks they just happen to think to hold hands in Landslide, or come out on stage hand in hand, or just happen to face each other in Silver Springs. Of course those fundamental actions are planned. It's the changes and the evolution IN those actions which are interesting. There are plenty of things which have only been done once or twice, or which occur in the almost complete darkness, or which are fundamentally different than how they were in the first show.

A planned action doesn't negate emotion or 'feeling', and that's what Stevie discusses. For example, in her 2013 interviews, she was very keen to promote the idea of their actions before then being 'fake' and comparing them to 'now' when it was 'real'. I don't necessarily buy that line but the concept behind it is solid. It's to do with whether the actions are meaningless and rote, or whether they come from a place which is genuine. When they're happy and relaxed onstage they often relax those rehearsed steps and you get something a little bit more interesting like him pretending to bite her shoulder as she speaks, or him leading her into a short dance for an encore. Those are pretty clearly not rehearsed actions.

-

So has it been great? When the pair of you hold hands on-stage now what’s going on there exactly? The hand-holding on the 2009 tour seemed a bit hammy..

That’s interesting. My cousin John has known Lindsey and I since 1968. He told me, “When I saw you and Lindsey play with Fleetwood Mac in 2009, there was nothing between you. It was as if you were thinking, ‘What shall I get from room service tonight? Grilled cheese? Tomato soup?” Hammy wasn’t the word for Lindsey and I in 2009 – it was totally fake. But what you see on-stage now is not fake. It is loving, and it is as close to those two people who met as teenagers as you could hope for. Every night I tell the story of Without You, the poem that I wrote in 1972 before we made the Buckingham Nicks album. The story has become longer than the song, and I told Lindsey, “I’m sorry, I’m trying to shorten it.” He goes, “Don’t worry, Stevie – it’s charming.” Three years ago he would have been like, “Are you kidding? We could do The Green Manalishi in that time…”

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"