View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Sure, go for it! Glad you had a good time, despite the travel issues. I've been to this venue many times and it's always a hassle. The parking lot set-up, there's always construction, etc. I had to be there early for Mick's m&g so I didn't run into traffic problems (I took a cab). Took the shuttle back to the blue line after show and managed to get a cab there. So it worked out pretty well for me.

I really enjoyed the show. Mick and his drum tech Steve (that's his name right?) were having some coordination problems at the beginning of GYOW, which is why they had to start over.

I was really impressed with the crowd. With the bitter cold I figured there's be a lot of empty seats but there weren't.
Thanks so much. Glad things worked so well for you, lucky on that shuttle bus back, oh my gosh. People were getting straight up nasty, someone claimed we cut them in line and went nuts at us but we had just come out the door and it was a cluster, not a line anyhow... And some were making runs for the buses when they arrived bypassing the line altogether and boy did they get screamed at! I would've run if I could but poor health prevented that...

My friend and I are both Detroiters (who love Chicago) and we basically concluded as screwy as MI can be with construction, our highway systems and roads in general make so much more sense. We were joking about how we would be leaving in I love Detroit shirts after all that crap. Obviously we've never done Rosemont. Detroits Palace of Auburn Hills where I saw FM in October is probably actually larger than Rosemont and there's also another large outdoor venue that basically shares exits with it yet wow, totally different experience and just smartly done highways around that part... But Detroits suburbs are a lot more built up really whereas Chicago proper is the main draw in Illionois so sort of makes sense, maybe... My aunt and uncle are in Illinois. Live up in Fox Lake now but have lived all over the city when they were younger and are big concert people and they warned me repeatedly. We left pretty early too though I had wanted to go even sooner and let my friend talk me out of it which in retrospect was stupid because it was really his first big arena show so he had no idea, whereas I knew a little better but... Eh. I've never seen anyone more than twice until this concert and never seen the same tour twice so I feel in some ways I was more relaxed. My health has made previous shows extraordinarily stressful and getting to this show was a pain but the actual show, I was just in a very different head space and now I wish I had driven up to Milwaukee and done Grand Rapids too!

And thanks for the explanation of what happened during GYOW, I had wondered (and as I said I am so short, I didn't actually see a whole lot!).

And definitely a great crowd. I actually had sworn off floor seats at arena shows long ago when I saw Sarah McLachlan at Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills in my teens and had maybe row 10-15ish, somewhere in there, and yet everyone around us seemed way more interested in drinking and talking than actually watching and enjoying the show! It was totally different the other night! Obviously also a very different vibe, but as I mentioned, just conversations I had as we were leaving and that woman in front of me, I felt like I was amongst "my people".