View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
So Stevie was unhappy during SYW because her mother died??? Her father passed in 2005 and her mother passed in 2011 so I guess that theory is ( cue the "Starshine" music) WRONG!
I think bethelblues is saying that the direction LB wants the songs to go in versus the direction Stevie wants her songs to go in has not "gelled" in a long time and this may be close to the root of the problem. It may also be more than the LB production of her songs that she is unhappy with she may just not like the influence LB will have as a musician playing on her songs any more. Maybe she's tired of the LB sound and his domination of her songs. If Lindsey would just simplify things and rock out once in a while like he used to.
If she doesn't want Lindsey to play on her songs anymore, she can't stay in the band. That's obvious. Or, as you pointed out, he has to go. At this point it seems more likely Stevie would be the one to go. She isn't just alienating Lindsey; it appears it's Stevie against the band at this point.

As for SYW production, it's clear Lindsey took the reins in some songs, but in others it's also very clear he did what she wanted. Examples of the latter would be the atrocious Running through the Garden and Silver Girl, which sound like the worst of 80s production. Even Say You Will, which is a decent song, also seems to have been produced to Stevie's specs. I believe you err in putting all the production blame on Lindsey. He seems to have acquiesced quite a bit. And I think it's as a result of that that the album is inconsistent. Unlike Tusk, where the differences in style actually work in a weird way, in SYW they don't. The album has some flashes of brilliance but it's overall inconsistent and somewhat deflating.

I agree with you, however, that Lindsey should scale back the studio tricks and deliver a more organic sound. I've been clamoring for that on these boards for a while. To me, as much as I hate to admit it, the best production I've heard on Lindsey songs for a number of years was on the This Is 40 tracks: clean, crips sounds free of the burden of studio trickery. I'd love to see more of that.