View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Even though I didn't grow up in the fifties, I knew that Buddy Holly was a seminal influence in rock and roll, as was Paul McCartney was in the sixties and seventies.
My influences weren't entirely focused on what was popular. I think radio stations in the 1970s were a strong source for that. They weren't programmed and operated by huge corporations. Disc Jockeys had the freedom to play what they wanted, so I was exposed was a wide diversity and styles of music, including heavy doses of music from the sixties.

I'm aware of the current, younger generation artists if only because you can't escape them in the media. Some of them are just fads of the moment. Others have genuine talent and lasting power. I can acknowledge them, yet they are too young for me to have any connection to them. I'm too far beyond their commercial demographic. You will never see the likes of One Direction, Nicki Minaj or Katie Perry in my collections. I have plenty of seasoned artists that fill the pocket of what they represent.

Some of the artists that really caught my interest in recent years (circa 2ooo onward) are the Scissor Sisters, Amy Winehouse, The Black Keys, and to a lesser extent. Foster the People and Vampire Weekend.
Yes Radio was radio back then with real people behind the mike and spinning records.The stations were owned by ma-pa not corrupt corp ownerships that robo run their stations with voiced track DJs on dozens of stations they own.

Yes with todays things like the internet with its gadgetry of Ipad .Iphones and the media in print ,TV .Theres no way anybody can escape hearing about these younger artist.

At times my 95 years young friend ask me whose this young artist he hears or seen on TV.I think Pink and Lady Gaga was the last artists he was wondering who they were.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016