View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Even though I didn't grow up in the fifties, I knew that Buddy Holly was a seminal influence in rock and roll, as was Paul McCartney was in the sixties and seventies.
My influences weren't entirely focused on what was popular. I think radio stations in the 1970s were a strong source for that. They weren't programmed and operated by huge corporations. Disc Jockeys had the freedom to play what they wanted, so I was exposed was a wide diversity and styles of music, including heavy doses of music from the sixties.

I'm aware of the current, younger generation artists if only because you can't escape them in the media. Some of them are just fads of the moment. Others have genuine talent and lasting power. I can acknowledge them, yet they are too young for me to have any connection to them. I'm too far beyond their commercial demographic. You will never see the likes of One Direction, Nicki Minaj or Katie Perry in my collections. I have plenty of seasoned artists that fill the pocket of what they represent.

Some of the artists that really caught my interest in recent years (circa 2ooo onward) are the Scissor Sisters, Amy Winehouse, The Black Keys, and to a lesser extent. Foster the People and Vampire Weekend.
I'm much younger than you but from 13 onward I have always listened to older rock music.
I think my parents music choice have influenced me since they used to listen to the same tapes of their favourite artists over and over. To this day some of those albums are my favourite too, but overall they transmitted me the habit of listening to the few things that I really love and that really represents me instead of continuously searching new fleeting things that I may like.
I think it's a mixed matter of education and culture.
Recent music hasn't really interested me in a long time but this last year I downloaded Ed Sheeran's album.