View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
My guess is that it's just more easier for her to to perform the well-worn road songs, with the mindset that her audience just wants to hear the songs they are most familiar with. That is true to a certain extent. But when you tour behind a new album, to promote it, shouldn't you have confidence in the new material to feature more than 3 or 4 new songs? The ideal mix I'd prefer is 45% new material, 45 hits & popular songs and 10% deep tracks/off beat material.
I only find this to be true of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. I like to think I see a pretty wide variety of shows each year, and no other artist that I've seen live, ever, stacks their setlists so much in favor of the hits from years gone by. Stevie/Mac have been doing it forever, so I don't think it has anything to do with current artists versus classic artists. Aside, I agree completely - when touring behind a new album, the new album should be played with preference over older material. Save the oldies for the encores. If the new songs are never going to become radio staples, how else are people supposed to know them if 8/10ths of the audience are casual fans who don't listen to albums? Even Rhiannon and Stand Back were new songs at one time.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case