View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Is Steve's brief appearance on drums the first time ever that someone other than Mick Fleetwood played drums with Fleetwood Mac? (I mean, other than the backing drummers and percussionists they've been using for years.)

If so, this was truly a historic occasion, since Mick is the only band member who has been in the band from the very beginning and has played every gig.
cool - good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I don't think it's ever happened before in concert. Didn't it happen to John once when Rocky Burnette filled in for him due to illness? Was that on the Tusk tour?

Thinking off the top of my head, there have been occasions when Mick didn't play drums on FM records. I seem to recall that Lindsey said Mick (and John) "weren't really on" Without you. Then there's probably the odd track on Tusk and maybe even TITN on which Lindsey did everything. Going further back S P Leary played drums on some tracks on the Blues Jam at Chess Album including World's in a tangle. Technically, although FM got top billing, I think that album was credited to Various Artists (it is on the verson I've got, anyway) so maybe that doesn't count.
cool info! so it seems that live, this still may be the only occasion someone had to fill in for / instead of Mick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
If Fleetwood Mac weren't so lock-step and tight-knitted, they could ad-libbed the rest of the show in some manner. But they just don't have those abilities; once they go off script they get completely lost and then grind to a halt. They could have turned this into a historic show for all the right reasons. Lindsey could have done some solo numbers. Surely they must have some songs in their wheelhouse could perform. Aside from stripping down some of their set lists songs, they could have performed unrehearsed numbers. Surely they would be expected to sound rough and unpolished, but that would be the charm about it. They could have garnered suggestions -- taking requests and questions from the audience, making them part of the show. Turn it partly into a talent show, and call out members of the audience with specific skills. Just some ideas to fill the time.

Some artists have the skills of engagement, with the confidence to be impromptu. Tom Petty and Elvis Costello come to mind, though I know there are better examples. It's an arena of entertainment just doesn't suit Stevie and Lindsey; that level of exposure and looseness makes them uncomfortable. Neither of them have that kind of showmanship in them. The only band member who does is, ironically, Mick!
yes! all great points and interesting suggestions!

confidence plus the balance of roles in FM may be a a big part of what's holding them back. another reason why i prefer LB solo shows where he can go off script. plus i immensely enjoy pushing him in that direction much more than he seems to be comfortable with - because when it does happen it can be pretty spectacular. when we were at his 92Y q&a and he did Rock Away Blind live for the first time ever - after he had to re-tune his own guitar right in front of the whole audience - everyone there felt like we just witnessed something truly amazing. unfortunately it's so rare.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"