View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Yes, fair enough. I was recalling Ken explaining on the Classic Albums: Rumours how Lindsey 'threw away the original song and added new words'.
I've just gone back and listened to what he said. In retrospect he was referring to throwing away the verses of Stevie's 'The Chain'. I suppose the Keep Me There words would have been long gone by then.

Agreed it does not match the level of the finished Chain. However, if they had a song up to the standard of Keep Me There I still cannot understand why they would deem it not worthy of persisting with and finishing (bearing in mind the finished product was unimaginable at that stage).
I think there is some confusion here.

The Chain and Keep Me There appear to be two very distinctly different songs (excluding the fan mash up someone made and posted online). It seems that Lindsey, in the process of feeling out, arranging and producing various songs, harvested some guitar riffs/musical segments from Christine's demo for use in another song---a typical method in the creative process. Most bands always work on more material than they need for an album, Some of the excess work evolves further than others and become b-sides, or now more currently, bonus/downloaded tracks. Others are just left unfinished or abandoned. Sometimes elements of those songs and treatments may be applied to future songs.

Fleetwood Mac doesn't seem to have vast amounts of extra material as some bands do. I like that we got the surprise of Keep You There so many years later. It doesn't sound like it was fully fleshed out, nor doesn't it share the style comparable to her other Rumours tracks. It feels like something you'd find on a Bob Welch era album, but it's barely recognizable as a precursor to The Chain. It's only relation is something akin to an organ transplant -- maybe a stem cell or kidney!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-21-2015 at 05:32 AM..