View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see, too my ears White Album and Rumours have a completely different sound and production. White Album is cold, disconnected collection of some good and some exceptional songs sounding completely boring when put together. warmth you are talking about and that you hear in soundtrack version of Twisted is similar to Dashut-Caillat-Buckingham warmth of Rumours. Thrown Down from SYW has that similar sound, and that may be why so many fans of Rumours sound seem to latch onto it so much.

this difference in sound and warmth actually makes sense, considering the producer of White Album is Keith Olsen.

like you, i'm just describing what i'm hearing and feeling when hearing it and would love to hear opinions of people with at least some handle on music production.
I've always loved the bright production sound on the white album. But you are right in noting that the album sounds very different from Rumours. One of Olsen's decisions was to bring the bass and drums up more prominently in the mix. That gives the album a kind of solid underpinning but, at the same time, it's rather light on the top end--comparatively little integration of guitar or vocals into the mix. As songs, Rhiannon, Warm Ways, and Say You Love benefit much from the production. Others, however, seem to want to open up more.

I wish the bass was featured more in the mix from Rumours, but other than that, it has a warm, integrated feeling. And the musicians appear to be more confident. Lindsey in particular.