View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
If were in his shoes, I would find it very annoying hearing fans beg and request anything, especially for new songs that are so far from being finished and released. It shows little respect for how he planned the performance.

Consider, with some sensitivity, that Lindsey is a perfectionist, and not one who would loosely abide to requests, and perform songs off the cuff. Some artists are amiable to it, but that goes against his established character and work ethic.

If, by a long shot, he did perform a new song, he would have prepared for it. It's his choice, not some objectionable audience member. It would be unprecedented if a new and unreleased/unfinished Fleetwood Mac song made it's debut as a Lindsey Buckingham solo song.

The best I would hope for is if he took stock in his solo work, with a good sampling from all of his solo albums -- songs he hasn't performed in a while, or has never performed. You would think he'd want take a breather from all the songs he's been performing with Fleetwood Mac, and do something special and unique. But I would bet money that Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Go Your Own Way, Never Going Back Again, I Know I'm Not Wrong, and Tusk will remain as the mainstays in his set.
I can certainly respect and understand this line of thinking but I don't think it holds up to scrutiny. First and foremost Lindsey has, as mentioned, and on rare occasions, actually played to fan requests - Bwana, the first time Stephanie was played, even the small bit of Frozen Love he and Stevie tried out at Soundstage. Secondly, he is the band member most interested in new music which he proved pre-Christine rejoining with the EP and has seemingly only become more intent upon it since her return. We believe the resistance he *may* be getting from some camps is that new music isn't anything the fans are interested in and it might be nice to know we want to hear the new stuff and to the extent we want to hear the new stuff (even Live!)

Thirdly, I believe your tone might be a bit hostile in the first paragraph and your use of the word objectionable. I think you are confusing someone calling out for something new or a deep cut to the drunk guy yelling "go your own way" after every song. There is a difference and they are miles apart. Lastly your point about a new song being debuted live via Lindsey solo - completely true. That said there has been only ONE new release since Lindsey has toured regularly so we're in new territory. Also I would point you to the Best Buy tour 97 CD in which each band member had a song listed with a solo credit and Lindsey's was Steal Your Heart Away which we all likely know ended up as a Fleetwood Mac song on Say You Will - not live but actually a precedence for a song debut as solo.

Apologies if I misread your tone and I do agree that you don't want to disrespect the thought that he will have already put into coming up with a setlist but I don't believe this is a band or person that shouldn't hear that we don't just need Go Your Own Way, Trouble, Tusk, Go Insane, etc.

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks