View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 12:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Not sure if we can take this setlist as the official one as we have no confirmation. Having said that...

Fleetwood Mac is truly a band where history is the best predictor of future behaviour.

If you look at all of their tours, even those going back to the late 70s/early 80s, the band has always used the same formula in their concerts. If there is a new album to promote, the new material is never put up front and centre and these songs usually do not even make an appearance until after 3-5 classic songs have been played. If there is no new album, it is simply hit after hit after hit - with some new songs (usually without studio recordings) thrown in. [To be fair, the EP with 4 new tracks was out of the norm for the band and was a step in the right direction].

Stevie and Lindsay have had two tours without Christine. These tours would have been a perfect time to mix the set up completely; neither of them had nearly as many 'hits' as Christine and therefore they really could have gone into their back catalogue and created a very different set. Sadly, they stuck to the tried and tested 'Rumours is supreme mode, and we all know the rest. Rare tracks like Storms, Beautiful Child, Sisters Of The Moon, Not That Funny, Oh Well were added (not all during the same tour and sets, of course) for the true Fleetwood Mac fans, however we are certainly in the minority. This is exactly how classic rock bands do, and arguably should, tour. The majority of people there are those that want the hits, want the songs that are constantly on classic rock radio. If all of the aforementioned rare songs, or other album tracks, were played during the same set the majority of the crowd would leave feeling disappointed.

Fleetwood Mac charge a lot to see them. They know what the vast majority of people want and expect. They have known this tour after tour, and therefore what else should we expect? I think we should enjoy the fact that Brown Eyes is back in, as well as 'rare' tracks like Sisters Of The Moon and I Know I'm Not Wrong. It shows that the band wants to at least signify the 'true' fans in the audience (though I would agree that they could stretch to songs that were not played over the last two tours).

As for Stevie's songs, she has not been in rehearsal much so I do not think we should be surprised. For Lindsay, we can even look to his solo set lists to see that he always sticks with the hits. To be fair to Mr. Buckingham, when he tours behind a new album he does promote the heck out of it in his shows and is pretty good at splitting the concerts 50/50 between FM and solo. However, he is not known to go deep into his solo material either (i.e. very little from Out Of The Cradle, Gift Of Screws, or any of his 80s work is played). And as for Christine, she is back and therefore everyone will be wanting to hear the hits we have missed for so long.

Maybe the next tour, with a new album in the works, will be different. For now, I think it is best just to expect what we all know will be played. FM is lucky in that they have a brand new audience that wants to hear all these classic songs. I have seen them twice and have only been a fan since around 2006. For me, hearing these songs live is still a moving experience. I was at one of the London shows with Christine last year, and was not bored during any of the set. I am hoping to go to the Toronto show this tour, though do not have a ticket yet (if anyone has 1 or 2 decently priced tickets for the Toronto show, would be great to get a message!)

So rather than be cross or disappointed at a set list, embrace what you will be experiencing. If you have chosen to purchase a ticket to see them enjoy the fact that you are listening to a 2 hour+ show filled with incredible music that will still be played and respected long after the band's touring days are over.

Last edited by Andy Man; 09-14-2014 at 12:23 AM..