View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
To my mind the 'standard' English pronunciation of on is 'on'. Whereas (and I appreciate there are several Scottish accents) I feel the Scottish pronunciation of on is closer to 'orn' and the American (and I appreciate there are many American accents) is closer to 'arn'.
Does that make sense?

Also, I think Christine's accent would best be described as Standard Southern English.
I love this post because it so perfectly illustrates how all-encompassing accents are. It makes no sense if I read it without putting on what I assume to be your accent, FuzzyPlum, as I do so. Although I do see what you mean and you've made a good stab at trying to illustrate different pronunciations of the words. It would be interesting to see people coming from different accents try and do the same and see how they attempt to spell all the different ways people say "on".

Christine is actually from Birmingham and I do still sort of get that in her speech, although her accent has been neutralised considerably from living in various places and I do think it's fairly "standard" these days, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Myeh-rurr is how my dad says "mirror," and he grew up near Glasgow. (Everything is "near Glasgow" )
I'm from Canada and say "myeh-rurr". Go team! How do you say it, golddustsongbird? I can't get used to people who say it "meer" to be honest. It's unsophisticated of me, but I do just find it a bit... funny-sounding. I guess I need to spend more time in America to just get used to it. Wahoo! Another reason for travelling!