View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I can think of a few bands that do this. Some train of thought is to have an outfit so as to concentrate on the music and not, "what am I going to wear tonight." I loved Christine's Dance Tour outfits, especially as her hair got longer. I loved Stevie's Tusk and Mirage outfits. Mick has always had a great outfit. John is just a regular dude. Lindsey has been hit and miss. I did love the Mirage hat he wore. Didn't like the Rumours and FM outfits he wore. Didn't like Christine's red outfit for Mirage so much.

One thing it does.. You know what era you are watching. lol
Didn't Lindsey uncharacteristically wear a formal suit jacket on the Tusk tour? That was kind of cool; something unexpected. Now it's just t-shirt and jeans. Their attire had more character/fashion circa 1975-1980. They made more of an effort back then. Stevie, in particular, would wear more colorful and varied outfits. Now it's always just one black, dour uniform worn over and over.

Look at the photo their using to promote their upcoming On With The Show tour! All of them are wearing black, with serious, unsmiling faces (except for Christine). They look like the ****ing Addams Family. or if they dressed for a funeral. On their last tour I was happy to see that they employed some technology so the stage backdrop would change in different colors, images and patterns to create different atmospheres for each song, which helped offset the lack of color inf their dress. I think their train of thought now is no thought at all. They got old. They got lazy.

It's more a rock and roll tradition to wear outfits that add to the showmanship, not usual pedestrian work /every day attire, as if they just walked off the street. David Bowie. Elton John. Kiss, and numerous other bands understand those principals. Of course those artists cited are extreme examples; Fleetwood Mac has never been that flamboyant; they are a different in that regard. Yet stage cloths don't distract from the music, the visual aesthetic enhances it. Fleetwood Mac aren't folk sings who should dress to look just like their audience.

They are rock and roll stars, and when they are on stage they could make a little effort to look like rock stars. This is is, ultimately after all, show business! As seasoned professional musicians, concentration, pacing, and professionalism is a given, not a concern that subjugates performance values.(Oh no, what should I wear?).

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-21-2014 at 03:12 AM..