View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Yeah, Doug Graves (RIP) did the Kirshner show with them...by the time they came back around later in December, Bobby Hunt (Bob Welch's old "Seven Souls" or "Head West" bandmate) was playing with them. I don't know why Hunt played on the Record Plant rehearsals, then Graves during the Kirshner show shoot and the first part of the tour, then Hunt again at the end. Welch kind of disputed my recollection during his first Q&A, but that's what happened...I saw who I saw on stage. (Welch said there that Hunt started out and they got Graves later; but I saw either the last or second to last show of the tour and Hunt was on keyboards; it was mid-December...Welch left around Christmas...since Lindsey & Stevie joined New Years Eve). Graves & Hunt played organ & synths, while Christine stayed mainly on acoustic or electric piano. I don't think Christine played B-3 on that tour at all.

The night before I saw them, they'd played at the Shrine Auditorium next to the USC campus and was the opening act for the then newly named Jefferson Starship who'd just released their first album under that name (anyone remember the tune "Ride The Tiger"?).

At my show, Fleetwood Mac was the headliner and the Climax Blues Band was the opening act...they were good. Their lead guitarist, Pete Haycock, would MANY years later take Jeff Lynne's place in ELO when they became "ELO II". Climax Blues Band had a big disco hit with "Couldn't Get It Right" in around 1976 or 77...another blues band goes disco! YIKES!! They were a better blues band than disco band!! But maybe I'm biased!
I wondered what was going on with the extra keyboardists. I think on the Record Plant CD, Bob introduced Mr. Hunt as an old friend. I have no idea what the dates are on my bootlegs-one being the Record Plant boot, the other is listed as Hempstead, NY. Both are terrific. I have also contacted someone about getting one of the 1975 boots with Chris doing "Jumping At Shadows". That should be great.

Thanks for all the info about the show that you saw. I LOVE hearing anything about their live shows during that time. It sounds like your memory may be better than Welch's.