View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post

I utterly love Docklands ... yes I know she didn't write it and people have a problem with the laundromat line, but I think you need to understand why these songs appealed to her in the first place and why she identified with it enough to even bother recording it let alone include it on the album.
Interestingly, I think Stevie misunderstood the original song, and thought Docklands was Darklands. I've seen it written in her handwriting as Darklands. And..it makes sense. Give me your hand - come in out of the darkness. It's quite a statement about her own life at the time, and the heaviness she must have felt, especially after the 1992 Clinton innauguration where she last saw Lindsey. And those years she spent ordering takeout from the deli down the street, sitting at home, doing nothing. I'm sure in retrospect, she was indeed in the Darklands.

I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case