View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I wouldn't open with the Chain just because I don't think the first song gets full attention. That's why I like it second. During the first song the audience is just happy to see you. They're screaming and reacting, not focusing, so the first minute or so of the opening just gets swallowed up in audience enthusiasm. I'd put a song up front that I don't mind not relishing in its entirety. But it has to be exciting too. Unfortunately, Monday Morning wasn't exciting the last time it was used, so I wouldn't use that again, BUT it does fit my criteria of being a song that I can afford to be a partial "throw away."

I understand there is a reason when Letterman does his Top Ten list that he never has the best joke at #1. I've never actually heard that reason explained, but I assumed that I knew already. The audience is all set to clap at the end, no matter what he says. The segment is wrapping up and a part of them is already distracted and has stopped concentrating on the humor. So, they don't want to waste a good joke at the end when no one will fully appreciate it. That's my guess. That's how I feel about the opening song too.

Now, for the video, it's great to open with The Chain or some other really hot number on dvd, if not in real life.

Michele