View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post
Dreams has a chorus. The harmonies from Lindsey and Christine, the strummed acoustic guitar and the percussion that don't appear elsewhere in the song make it so. The chords mightn't change but it is a distinct chorus.

Gypsy doesn't.
Gypsy is in fact the song which first drew me to Fleetwood Mac to the point of obsession. It was the 2003 Live in Boston version without Christine. When I first got into pre-1998 performances on YouTube videos, well, I'm ashamed to say I say Chris in a 1987 video and thought that she was a drag queen.

Gypsy holds a special significance to this day for me, with the lyrical content in particular having meaning for this time in my life where I am always on the go, always travelling. I have moved house 3+ times since 2011.

I commute to university 4 hours (Return) every day. 1/6 of every day is travelling and I truly do feel like a "travelling gypsy" with no true home (except one very special place).

The guitars - bass and Lindsey's lead are just magic. "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice" vocals sung by Lindsey is just beautiful and tragic all at once. It feels like Stevie was hoping for a second Dreams, a second mega-seller Rumours record when this song was recorded in 1982. Though it was a success as a single, it definitely did not match Dreams or Landslide. Still, I wish more people would cover it and that it continues to stay special long into the future after the eventual demise of the surviving members of the Mac!