View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
How do you feel about "You can't plant no seed," in "What's The World Coming To?"

That may be just one example, but they've all played fast & loose with grammar from time to time.
As a writer, I feel grammar/diction in songs is up to the writer. You can write something "wrong" on purpose for emphasis. Or, it could be style, etc.

Changing tense is wrong on a school paper, but on an album you are financing? There is no hard fast rule. I actually asked a musical theater composer about this subject. He said, "It's my song and I can do anything I want with it. That doesn't mean it is going to sell, and I might get hell for it by the critics. But it is still my discretion."

Having said that, you don't want to look foolish. You do want a reason for writing, " FOR You You You You You You AND I" It's almost always easier to sing the I vowel vs. the E vowel. So keep your heart open and your eyes shut tight. What will be will be.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-14-2014 at 06:01 PM..