View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
That big pricetag is a result of something called "cybersquatting," when an entrepreneur buys a domain name that they think will be of interest to someone, and then try to resell it to the someone at a huge markup. A normal domain registration costs in the range of ten dollars a year.

Christine's team ought to just forget about the dot-com website name and get her a website called christinemcvie.info or christinemcvie.net or whatever. There are plenty of domain name extensions and the dot-com name doesn't have any special meaning, other than being the most commonly used. The website we're currently on, for example, is fleetwoodmac.net (not dot-com).
Right and I think the official band would be expected to have www.fleetwoodmac.com. If that name were available, it would be taken for THIS site, but it's the official site, which is the norm. John McVie is not using johnmcvie.com, but I think his people own it.

That's why Christine should have www.christinemcvie.com, because most people will assume that it's the official site and if the wrong person buys the name, they will try to capitalize on the mistake. I think that celebrities and professionals should always try to buy the com name if they can get it.

News of Christine's return to Fleetwood Mac will make the domain cost go even higher.

Michele