View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
At work, I share an office with two guys from Iraq. One is Christian, the other is Muslim.

Well, right now, it's Ramadan. If you don't know what Ramadan is, look it up.

This poor guy - he can't even have coffee while the sun is up. I know faith is a choice, but often one we are born into without choice. Despite any personal beliefs, it's ok to have (and show) respect for things you don't believe or agree with.

Anyway, I feel terribly guilty eating lunch at my desk; but there's nowehere else to eat and I'm certainly not sitting in my hot car.

I really don't think God would care much about when you eat and where the sun is in the sky.

But my food hasn't tasted very good. I can't wait for Ramadan to be over.
I'm experiencing a similar situation myself. My boss is Muslim, and the break room/kitchen for our agency is between our offices. Food & coffee smells waft into our doors all day every day. And this being the South, people are constantly bringing mountains of food to work to share for various celebrations, and if you don't take any, folks get mortally offended.

I can't say I feel bad for my boss, she seems so very at peace with her religion & with the fasting. She actually seems way more at peace with her religion & it's trappings than any other acquaintances I've had who have been Christian, Jewish, Hindu, etc. In the end, everyone has such different relationships with their beliefs, friends, families, & significant others. Just so long as they're happy & content with those relationships, that's all that really matters to me.