View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I didn't mean that Mac fans didn't get along or that people needed to be forced to like anything. Far from it. But it's just kind of a bummer that there are huge chunks of the Mac catalogue that many fans don't get much out of. There are loads of artists that I can't get into, similarly, and that's a bummer too, because I often do feel like I'm missing out on something.
No, I know exactly what you mean and I do think it's sad. I've used this example before, but I'll say it again. I love Jimmy Stewart, but I don't like westerns. So, I've only seen about half of Jimmy Stewart's movies and I do feel it's as if seeing Stewart through a monocle, rather than with both eyes open. I call myself a Stewart fan, but by not paying attention to the westerns, I missed out on half of his evolution and I do regret it -- just not enough to sit through Cheyenne Autumn.

When Christine did Meantime and they told her that her songs sound like Fleetwood Mac she said, of course they do because she wrote most of the "blooming" hits. Then, she said, no, that she was heavily influenced by Lindsey as they all were and she copied a lot from him and I find (or imagine to myself) that they all copy from each other and speak to each other. I so much like looking at the parts of them that were formed through and because of Fleetwood Mac. I think I understand them more as solo artists via their non-solo work so I really appreciate the full picture.

Yet, I only look at Fleetwood Mac from 1967-1974 as a way to get closer to Christine. I don't embrace that era and don't want to explore it any more than I already have. So, I understand the disinterest, too.

Michele