View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Courier Times, Philly Burbs
http://www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/rea...1fb230e3f.html

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:45 pm

By Jaime Swank Council Rock South
High School

Before I went to the Fleetwood Mac concert Saturday, I was expecting most of the people there to be middle-aged hippies.

Although many of them were of a certain age, and I did see people smoking unknown substances, there were also quite a few teenagers in attendance. And this greatly increases my faith in the musical taste of my generation.

The band started out with “Secondhand News,” which was apropos considering that is the first song off the 35-year-old “Rumours” album. The group followed with more songs from “Rumours” before playing a new song entitled “Sad Angel” from its not-yet-released EP.

Whenever a band releases new songs, there is the worry the songs won’t be as good as the old ones, but I was pleasantly surprised. “Sad Angel” is in keeping with the group’s old style, but it certainly isn’t redundant.

Fleetwood Mac then played songs from “Tusk,” one of its lesser-known albums. I wasn’t very familiar with the songs from this album before the concert. At any rate, Stevie Nicks impressed me with her vocals on the song “Sisters of the Moon.”

The band later returned to some of its more-classic songs, such as “Rhiannon,” “Gypsy” and “Landslide.” In the latter song, Lindsey Buckingham’s understated guitar-playing coupled with Nicks’ beautiful singing led to an exceptionally touching performance.

However, during “I’m So Afraid,” Buckingham showed off the true range of his guitar skills. It was as if he turned the guitar into a weapon he used to fight off the Jabberwocky. He gracefully moved across the stage while playing technically difficult solos. It was an impressive feat for a person of any age, let alone a 63-year-old.

Overall, I was utterly impressed by the entire concert. It only increased my love for my favorite band, and I’m so glad I got to experience Fleetwood Mac’s music live.

I would definitely recommend listening to the band’s albums, as well as going to one of its concerts — if you have the chance.

Grade: A+