View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

I never really understood "Street Angel"- the song or the even liked the title, I know it's about a homeless gypsy, etc., but I never found it believable, it's far-fetched, even for a Stevie song. I've grown to like the song, but it wouldn't even register in my top 40 Stevie songs, and I do not believe it was ultimately worthy of inclusion or even esp., as the title a Stevie album. And ultimately that's the real problem with this record, It's missing a strong anchor, some direction, it just hangs, and is aimless. It needs one killer title song - and then drop "Jane", "Docklands"(love the song, just not for Stevie), "Just Like A Woman" (horrible cover) & finally kick off "Unconditional Love" unless it's re-arranged as the acoustic demo sounds. Add in one killer title song, "Inspiration", and "If You Were My Love." This album is hard... because it's kind of a mess. The Chris Lord-Alge production on "Thousand Days" & "Mirror, Mirror" does not fit with the rest of this material. Those songs sound too slick and are even more early 90's adult-contemporary sounding. Exactly what Stevie did not need back then. Chris is a great mixer, but they obviously didn't think he had the chops to produce an entire project, otherwise Stevie would have hired him.
Oh Lord, how can anyone think that god-awful SA vocal on If You Were My Love is worthy of inclusion on an album is beyond me. It's terrible, truly. She sounds half awake and distracted by a pizza.

I personally love Street Angel (the song) but otherwise agree with your assessment, by and large. That part of the 90's was an odd time for music, with Salt & Pepa and Tori Amos and Ace of Bass toppng charts, I don't know that *anything* Stevie could have done would have sounded current.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case